In August 2020 the Diocesan Strategy for Buildings was published and commenced a process that is still ongoing. As this process continues a localised church buildings review will commence for a period not exceeding fifteen working days between June and September 2022.
Bishop Peter has directed Mr Philip Longworth to undertake this review in relation to the following:
- St Stephen’s, Sulby
- Old Church, Ballaugh
- St Mary de Ballaugh
The Terms of Reference for the review will be to explore the following:
- Confirming the legal position of the churches in relation to any proposals or recommendations; for example, the existence of any church covenants or similar contractual restrictions.
- The views of local elected parish representatives in relation to the future use and viability of the above churches.
- The views of local clergy and Readers in relation to the use and viability of the above churches.
- The views of any other interested parties.
- The identification of realistic timescales for the implementation of the ‘next steps’ recommendations, including any further consultation which may be required
- The identification of potential diocesan and/or external resources which could facilitate ‘next steps’ recommendations.
- The writing of a summary of findings and associated recommendations for the Bishop’s Leadership Team and the Church Commissioners for the Isle of Man.
Mr Philip Longworth is Diocesan Giving and Income Generation Officer
This review does not form part of the Giving and Income Generation Strategy but is a localised management analysis of perspectives, ideas and future options for the above churches.